Sunday, July 28, 2019

Crafts, Blog 4

I have to agree that Jimi Hendrix's performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Woodstock in 1969 was truly an iconic musical moment, especially in rock history. At first listen to his performance sounded messy a...almost to the point of it being disrespectful. After pondering I knew there had to be more to this performance. After a couple of more listens I realized there is so much imagery and a much deeper meaning to this performance. "The Star-Spangled Banner" is America's anthem. The way Hendrix played it was iconic and incredibly moving. Listeners are able to hear the sounds of planes, bombs, and machine guns. I think the coolest and most interesting part of this performance is how you could hear the war siren within the song symbolizing war sirens during the Vietnam War. This was what people would hear during the Vietnam War and being someone who wasn't apart of that, Jimi's performance gave me an idea of how times were during this time period. He used his guitar and performance as one of the most clever and breathtaking anti-war message (especially in the 60s.) Hendrix gave his guitar a voice. Although I am sure he ruined many psychedelic trips considering the time period and being at Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix was able to paint a picture with his guitar.  Listening in 2019 I am able to feel what it was like to be a citizen during the 60s-70s. Very powerful performance.

Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner Woodstock 1969

1 comment:

  1. It is crazy what he did for that performance, and it is amazing that listening now, people can get a better understanding of what life was like just upon listening to this performance.

    ReplyDelete