Blog 1:
My name is Elena! I “graduated” this past spring, but wanted to take this class before receiving my
diploma so that I could tack a music minor onto my degree. I majored in English, and minored in
Education (and Music once I complete this course!). I am currently in the MAT program at St. Mike’s
so that I can receive my teaching license for teaching English to middle/high school aged students. I am
from Bethlehem, New Hampshire-- but now live in Essex. I hope to learn about the origins of rock, as
well as what sub-genres may fall under the “rock” label. Some of my favorite musical artists are Johnny
Cash, Atmosphere, and Kurt Cobain.
diploma so that I could tack a music minor onto my degree. I majored in English, and minored in
Education (and Music once I complete this course!). I am currently in the MAT program at St. Mike’s
so that I can receive my teaching license for teaching English to middle/high school aged students. I am
from Bethlehem, New Hampshire-- but now live in Essex. I hope to learn about the origins of rock, as
well as what sub-genres may fall under the “rock” label. Some of my favorite musical artists are Johnny
Cash, Atmosphere, and Kurt Cobain.
Blog 2:
I actually heard the song “California Girls” by The Beach Boys on the radio just days before the start of
this module. Somehow I have lived under a rock enough to never have heard it before. I am slightly
ashamed to admit that, while listening, I first noted, “Okay this is The Beach Boys, strange that I’ve
never heard it before” and then, “hang on, that Katy Perry song is just like this one… is that the same
chord progression? Could I literally sing “California Gurls” on top of… wait”. So then, intrigued by
this, I decided to do a YouTube search and found a gem of a video of The Beach Boys commenting on
Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg’s rendition of their song:
this module. Somehow I have lived under a rock enough to never have heard it before. I am slightly
ashamed to admit that, while listening, I first noted, “Okay this is The Beach Boys, strange that I’ve
never heard it before” and then, “hang on, that Katy Perry song is just like this one… is that the same
chord progression? Could I literally sing “California Gurls” on top of… wait”. So then, intrigued by
this, I decided to do a YouTube search and found a gem of a video of The Beach Boys commenting on
Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg’s rendition of their song:
Blog 3:
The Electric Prunes formed their band in LA in 1965. The band started with James Lowe singing lead vocals and playing
harmonica (and other instruments), Mark Tulin on bass, Ken Williams on lead guitar, Michael “Quint”
Weakley on drums, and Dick Hargraves on keyboard. Most of their songs were written by Annette
Tucker and Nancie Mantz. They are a psychedelic rock band who used fuzz-toned guitars and sound
effects to create a unique sound. Their first album had their most popular songs “I Had Too Much to
Dream (Last Night)” and “Get Me to the World on Time” (using a psychedelic twist of some Bo Diddley).
They only released two albums until they disbanded in 1968-- due to being unable to record the complex
arrangements by David Axelrod. They had hired him in hopes that it would lead them to more success,
but they found his arrangements too difficult and time consuming.
harmonica (and other instruments), Mark Tulin on bass, Ken Williams on lead guitar, Michael “Quint”
Weakley on drums, and Dick Hargraves on keyboard. Most of their songs were written by Annette
Tucker and Nancie Mantz. They are a psychedelic rock band who used fuzz-toned guitars and sound
effects to create a unique sound. Their first album had their most popular songs “I Had Too Much to
Dream (Last Night)” and “Get Me to the World on Time” (using a psychedelic twist of some Bo Diddley).
They only released two albums until they disbanded in 1968-- due to being unable to record the complex
arrangements by David Axelrod. They had hired him in hopes that it would lead them to more success,
but they found his arrangements too difficult and time consuming.
What is most interesting about this band is 1. How they had songwriters who did not perform in their
band. And 2. The lack of drive they had to perform arrangements, made for them, that may have lead
them to great success.
band. And 2. The lack of drive they had to perform arrangements, made for them, that may have lead
them to great success.
Blog 4:
Since so much of this era was influenced by the Beat poets, I chose a spoken poem by Allen Ginsberg,
titled “America”. It was written in 1956-- so it is a prime example of the sort of “Beat Poetry” that would
have influenced much of what would follow in the 1960’s. The reading of the poem features (a perhaps
slightly intoxicated) Allen Ginsberg discussing his attitudes towards war, America, industrialism,
consumerism, the overwhelmingly evil nature of humanity, communism, marijuana, sex, the media,
Russians, psychology, and homosexuality. This poem is encompassing of practically everything that is
going on culturally in the 1960’s-- written and read in a way that is both depressing and hilarious (because
what about the Beat poets is better than their elements of absurdism?).
titled “America”. It was written in 1956-- so it is a prime example of the sort of “Beat Poetry” that would
have influenced much of what would follow in the 1960’s. The reading of the poem features (a perhaps
slightly intoxicated) Allen Ginsberg discussing his attitudes towards war, America, industrialism,
consumerism, the overwhelmingly evil nature of humanity, communism, marijuana, sex, the media,
Russians, psychology, and homosexuality. This poem is encompassing of practically everything that is
going on culturally in the 1960’s-- written and read in a way that is both depressing and hilarious (because
what about the Beat poets is better than their elements of absurdism?).
Some gems from the poem are:
- “I can’t stand my own mind. America when will we end the human war? Go fuck yourself with your atom bomb. I don’t feel good don’t bother me.”
- “I haven’t read the newspapers for months, everyday somebody goes on trial for murder.”
- “America I used to be a communist when I was a kid I’m not sorry. I smoke marijuana every chance I get.”
- “When I go to Chinatown I get drunk and never get laid.”
- “You should have seen me reading Marx. My psychoanalyst thinks I’m perfectly right.”
- “It’s true I don’t want to join the Army or turn lathes in precision parts factories, I’m nearsighted and psychopathic anyway. America I’m putting my queer shoulder to the wheel.”
Blog 5:
The band Kansas was most active between the years of 1973 and 1983. They are an American rock band
who released the hit singles “Carry On My Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind”. Many of the original
band members were no longer apart of the band once they became popular. The most notable of all of the
band members during the time of their success were Steve Walsh (lead vocals), Robby Steinhardt (violin
and vocals), Dave Hope (bass), Kerry Livgren (guitar), Rich Williams (guitar), and Phil Ehart (drums).
Their unique sound was created upon merging American boogie-rock with symphonic arrangements.
who released the hit singles “Carry On My Wayward Son” and “Dust in the Wind”. Many of the original
band members were no longer apart of the band once they became popular. The most notable of all of the
band members during the time of their success were Steve Walsh (lead vocals), Robby Steinhardt (violin
and vocals), Dave Hope (bass), Kerry Livgren (guitar), Rich Williams (guitar), and Phil Ehart (drums).
Their unique sound was created upon merging American boogie-rock with symphonic arrangements.
No comments:
Post a Comment