The Wallflowers is a band located out of LA. the group started in the early 90s with Jakob Dylan as the lead singer and Tobi Miller as guitarist. From what I've read, the band member have otherwise changed over time, but Dylan remains consistent. After their inception in the early 90s, their break through came in 1996 with their album "Bringing Down The Horse" which features the song "One Headlight". Most of us would recognize the song, probably from the Subaru car commercials. Other songs on the album are pretty good too. I really like "God Don't Make Lonely Girls". The song "6th Avenue Heartache" was the first single released from the album and really grew in fame from VH1 and MTV. As radio play picked up, so did the record sales.
Stylistically, I would compare the Wallflowers to The Red Hot Chili Peppers, but with a 'twangy' opening riff. When I first listened to them, several of their songs open with a riff that sounds a bit like modern country music, but with a smooth, soothing harmony. Interestingly Jakob Dylan is the son of Bob Dylan and I can see the paternal influence. While his sound lyrically is different, I can make a comparison between the band and musical sound of Bob and Jakob. I think the Wallflowers are a good middle ground for 90s rock, meaning its smooth and relaxing, but musically, it's all there! I've never really listened to this group before, but i've grown to appreciate their work.
One Headlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzyfcys1aLM
6th Av Heartache
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXDiGtgPL6E
Three Marlenas... reminds me of Kenny Chesney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RloXtzcCAf8
No comments:
Post a Comment